[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Thu Apr 29 14:35:53 CDT 2004

Dave McGuire writes ...
> On Apr 29, 2004, at 2:59 PM, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> > PCs aren't very good, but they are inexpensive, popular, and hard to
> > compete with.
>
>    I don't have to compete with them.  I just exercise my own judgment
> and free will, and I....[wait for it]...
>
>    DON'T BUY THEM.

Well, yesh, but I was thinking about the manufacturing side of things.  Even
you and I can only buy what's available.  I don't have the resources to
build a computer from scratch, or even from chips.  You may, but I'll bet
you have more profitable things to do with your time.

The PC's biggest competitor for the desktop/laptop is the Macintosh, and it
gets, what, 7% of the market?  8%?  Something in the single digits, anyway.
Imagine trying to break into the desktop/laptop computer market today, with
something that's not a PC ('cause they suck) and not a Macintosh ('cause
Apple will sue you into the 9th dimension).  Even Sun and SGI can't really
compete in that market; they sell "desktop" machines, but in low volumes
even when compared to Apple.  Sun and SGI aren't exactly coining money these
days, either.

So, you're right, we don't have to buy 'em, but the manufacturers have to
build 'em, 'cause that's what they can sell.

-Shel