[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Thu Apr 29 14:31:39 CDT 2004

On Apr 29, 2004, at 2:48 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

>>> Early '80s designs aren't modern?  :-)
>>
>> Don't you mean late 70s?
>
>   Nitpick.
>
>   The PC design was started in the late 70s but it shipped in 1981.
>
>        -Dave

And unfortunately for you it's probably going to survive a whole lot
longer.

Witness the low power consumption and redesign with the Pentium M core
in Israel.  They finally managed to do a bit of PowerPC style magic
(low Wattage, high Megahertz) by redesigning most of the chip. Bye bye
up against the wall 3.6Ghz Prescott... hello more x86 ISA Pentium M
chips.

Maybe x86-64 extensions on a Xeon M core will slowly morph into
something that kills IA-32 enough for satisfaction, but I don't know.

Gahdammit!

Andrew