[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Apr 29 01:18:50 CDT 2004

On Apr 29, 2004, at 2:12 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>>>   The idea is being compatible with the broken and almost completely
>>> non-scalable PC architecture.  The x86 processor architecture is bad
>>> enough...but the situation is made even worse by the need for
>>> backward
>>> compatibility with a design that was 1) not very good to begin with,
>>> and 2) never designed to be scaled up at all.
>
> Yeah, I know, I was just tweaking you.

   Don't tweak me.  This stuff is my *life*, so I do take it personally.

>   Compared to what it could and
> SHOULD have been, it's crap ....  but unfortunately it's crap that's
> taken over most of the market.

   That doesn't mean YOU have to use it.  Just..."don't".  It's as
simple as that.  If enough people disobey Microsoft's orders and
exercise their free will, eventually the shit products will die out.

>   There have been attempts to steer PC
> design onto a higher track, but they've pretty much all been killed by
> short-sighted corporate greed and stupidity.

   In other words: fucking suits.

>>>   Of course, we...oh, DON'T HAVE TO USE PCs, but solving that
>>> stupidity
>>> is a different problem altogether.
>
> WE can continue to use non-PC hardware, and point and jeer when some
> kiddy releases a worm that wipes out every Windows box reachable from
> the Internet overnight....  the virus writers have figured out that
> it's
> OK to kill your host, provided you reproduce *first*.

   Yep.  I like to laugh at morons.  Quality entertainment!

        -Dave