[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Apr 28 20:36:28 CDT 2004

On Apr 28, 2004, at 9:20 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>>> Well, it does have a 386.  And I bet they use it's MMU rather than
>>> supply their own, don't they?
>>
>> They did use the 386 MMU.  But, it's not an "x86" box per se - that
>> term
>> is reserved (at least in my teeny little cranium) for PeeCees
>> designed to
>> use DOS and/or Winblows.  FOr example, the Zenith Z-100 is *not* an
>> x86
>> box, but the Z-248 is.
>
> I designed the AMD box sitting next to me specifically to run Linux,
> not
> DOS or Windows ....   ;)
>
> </devil's-advocate>

   The idea is being compatible with the broken and almost completely
non-scalable PC architecture.  The x86 processor architecture is bad
enough...but the situation is made even worse by the need for backward
compatibility with a design that was 1) not very good to begin with,
and 2) never designed to be scaled up at all.

   Of course, we...oh, DON'T HAVE TO USE PCs, but solving that stupidity
is a different problem altogether.

          -Dave