[rescue] SGI, Origin 200, and speed?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Apr 28 15:00:25 CDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 03:48:50PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   I did try it, and I can tell you that you cannot successfully get an
> Origin200 to join an Origin2000 system.  It identifies stuff, it
> clearly communicates across the crossbar switches, but it fails with a
> bunch of weird errors which I can't currently recall.

Yeah.  I think they are intending to keep you from doing that.  I forget
the exact words I heard the last time it was discussed.  I was told the
chips were the same, but that the machine startup firmware was
different, so it could establish the network, but would then fail when
it saw the configuration.  Bleh.

The whole thing is a bit of a bummer.  It would be really nice to be
able to use O200s as cheap PCI expansion for an O2k (instead of $x00 for
an Origin PCI or PCI shoehorn, just spend $150 for 3 more PCI slots on
another PCI bus, another two scsi channels, and another ethernet
interface).  Grr.