clueless GNOME bashing (was Re: [rescue] Mozilla Firefox)

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Apr 28 12:52:29 CDT 2004

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Nathan Raymond wrote:

> Because you can have windows within windows - one of the single most
> stupid UI conventions ever invented.  Whoever came up with that one should
> be shot.

I actually like it, but it's really only useful for certain applications:
ones that I use for a long stretch at a time.  If I want to make Visual
C++ "go away" while I check my mail, I minimize the VC++ window.  All my
source code windows and resource-editor windows go with it in that one
container.

If I want to minimize Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop (on Windows), I do
the same thing.

If I want to minimize the Gimp, I minimize everything individually, by
which time I've probably fogotten whe I was trying to do.

Thankfully, virtual desktops (on Unix) and Hide $application/others (on
MacOS) solve this problem in a more elegant fashion.

It also helps indicate which windows belong to which application in the
cases that it's not immediately obvious (ie: a MDI text editor).

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Being on the Internet is not the same as being
Elgin, TX         (   famous.  That's like calling Cheetos 'dinner'."