clueless GNOME bashing (was Re: [rescue] Mozilla Firefox)

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Wed Apr 28 11:22:59 CDT 2004

On Apr 28, 2004, at 3:41 AM, Torquil MacCorkle, III wrote:

>> To keep this on-topic, speaking of NeXT, does any one have experience
>> in
>> resurrecting NeXTstations?  I can't get mine to break into the ROM
>> monitor.
>
> Sorry I can't be of any help, but may I add 'cosmetically' to this?  I
> will
> soon be acquiring a slab and Cube (thanks Andrew) in fairly rough
> condition
> and would like to 'restore' them cosmetically if possible.

When I get a line on the paints would you like that info as well?

> (Is it possible to upgrade a mono cube/slab to color, same thing with
> non-turbo to turbo?)  (And what is the apparent speed difference just
> in
> general use when it comes to non-turbo vs turbo NeXTs?)

Not directly

For the Cube to go color you need a ND board (way big $$$) which adds a
color head.  I'd only do this once you decide you love your cube and
then I'd hunt for a complete system to replace it in much better
cosmetic shape.

For the Cube to go turbo you need a turbo mainboard

For the mono slabs you need a completely different machine (board)

Basically the machine is what it says it is on the label.

Andrew