[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Wed Apr 28 11:14:12 CDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 05:49:13PM +0200, Gerhard Lenerz wrote:
> > How do you program the i860?  Sounds yummy.
>
>   it sounds indeed interesting, but I guess it won't be easy to find
>   docs or even running software. Quick googling doesn't turn up very
>   much - maybe I have some luck with the also rescued harddisk.

I think Hauppauge is still in business.

> > The i860 was one of Intel's attempts to get away from x86, but it
> > failed.
>
>   And the remains ended probably on Geometry Engine boards in Reality
>   Engines. ;-)

And also in some RAID controllers and RIPs for high end lasers.

My understanding is that the context switch time was so high that a
general purpose OS did not have good performance on the CPU.  But, for
a single-task operation like handling some drives or rasterizing
PostScript, they were good.

Cordially
| Patrick Giagnocavo, patrick at zill.net             |
| Zill.Net - OpenACS, Postgres, Web hosting        |
| OpenACS v4 shared server       $19.95/month      |
| Colocation w/50GB transfer     $99.00/month      |
| Managed servers (incl. system) $175/month        |