clueless GNOME bashing (was Re: [rescue] Mozilla Firefox)

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Wed Apr 28 09:31:08 CDT 2004

On Wednesday 28 April 2004 02:45, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Apr 28, 2004, at 3:37 AM, Torquil MacCorkle, III wrote:
> >> Long live WindowMaker, BlackBox, and fvwm2, with Xaw3d underneath.
> >
> > I used to use Windowmaker 4-5 years ago, then blackbox and IceWM (a
> > bit windows-ish with the pull up menu in the lower left hand
> > corner) for a few
> > years, but it is a hair *too* lightweight, if that is possible,
> > recently I
> > tried fvwm2 and really like it.
>
>    Fvwm has been around for _ages_.  It's quite nice, and for a long
> time it was the lightest-weight window manager around, second
> possibly only to twm, or possibly "wm" under X10 (if anybody else
> remembers that).
>
>    Fvwm kicks ass.

Fvwm was my first X11 window manager.  Ahh, the memories.

But on rescue-esque hardware, I prefer either Enlightenment (which is a
bit of a heavyweight, but not when compared to things like KDE/GNOME),
or Afterstep.  I used afterstep exclusively until KDE became "usable."
And now, it's only usable on things faster than a 250MHz Ultra 30.
It's a heavyweight, but I usually don't have anything else to consume
the memory/cycles until I start encoding DVDs to MPEG4, using Gimp to
open a directory of 50 or so 1280x960 images from my camera for
editing, etc.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        ---  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/