[rescue] Re: rescue Digest, Vol 17, Issue 183

Ross Bernheim rossber at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 28 09:14:56 CDT 2004

On Wednesday, April 28, 2004, at 12:40 AM, rescue-request at sunhelp.org
wrote:

>> Gnome has the reputation of being a huge, bloated pig...Whose
>> attention are they chasing?

Ideological jihad programming. They have lost sight of the end user.
The "
One True Way", has blinded them to the realities of the desktop.

> Well, duh.  They're chasing the-So-We-Can-Lunix-Must-Be-Like-Windows
> Get-In-The-Door-At-Wal*Mart crowd.

I keep wondering why the "Lunix-Must-Be-Like-Windows" mindset. I can
only
think that they believe that since Windows is so successful, they need
to copy
it to be successful on the desktop. If they want to see a better
desktop, look
to Apple's OS9 or OS X which were the models for the second rate copy
that
is the Windows desktop.

OS X has a lot of eye candy that is just that, but there is some so
called eye
candy is quite useful.

> Long live WindowMaker, BlackBox, and fvwm2, with Xaw3d underneath.

All good light weight window managers. Coming from years of Mac use, I
am using KDE and find that it is usable, but at least in Knoppix, tends
include too many programs, so I am slowly pruning the unused and
unwanted programs while adding some that I want that were not included.

Ross Bernheim