[rescue] Re: rescue Digest, Vol 17, Issue 179

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Apr 28 00:01:33 CDT 2004

On Apr 27, 2004, at 10:59 PM, Ross Bernheim wrote:
> There is a book out, Thinking Forth. I have a copy, but haven't had
> time to more than just start it before getting sidetracked with other
> things.

   Yes, I've been looking for that book...others have recommended it.

>  I definitely want to learn to program in Forth, but everyone
> seems to want to push me to other languages such as Perl, Python
> or c++.

   Hmph.  If anyone does that to me, they'd better be paying me for the
privilege.  Otherwise they can kiss my ass.

>>    In many ways, it defies classification for a dyed-in-the-wool
>> procedural programmer like me.  But it is an amazing language.
>
> They usually comment that Forth is a programming environment rather
> than just a language. The whole idea being to increase the programmer's
> efficiency at producing debugged code. It is a low level language at
> the
> smaller sizes just up from the kernel and can be extended in any
> direction
> and to any extent into a high level language if desired.

   Yes, I suppose that fits.  The bizarre thing is that I _know the
language_.  I just can't figure out how to write code in it. :)  My
brain thinks in C, I guess.  Well, I will start trying in earnest soon.

          -Dave