[rescue] SGI, Origin 200, and speed?

James Braid jamesb at loreland.org
Tue Apr 27 16:43:47 CDT 2004

Gerhard Lenerz said the following on 28/04/2004 12:43 a.m.:
>>So, are the O200 CPU modules the same as in the O2000 as the O2000 is
>>IP27 too?
>

>   No, I think there are no CPU modules on the O2000 nodeboards. I
>   currently can't find pictures to verify that but I think it was
>   intended that CPU upgrades are done as a board swap. On Octane and
>   O200 the CPUs in contrast to that were intended to be field
>   replaceable units.

There are CPU modules on the O2K node boards (they are called HIMMs
IIRC), but I dont think they are field replaceable. We never replaced
them on the 32p O2K we had, we just replaced node boards.

Origin 3000 on the other hand *is* field upgradable, the CPUs are on
carrier boards (PIMMs), and you can purchase the CPUs fairly easily.

Cheers, James