[rescue] Cheapest Cray?

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Tue Apr 27 10:27:40 CDT 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:19:37 -0400
Francois Dion <fdion at atriumwindows.com> wrote:

> 860, that is what, 1986?
Possibly. AFAIK the 860 is early - mid 80's.

> Hmmm... 20 kW. I tought I'd be ok with a 7.5 kW UPS. Maybe it's not
> too late, I haven't wired it up yet... :)
20 kW is for the quite new and air cooled 960 in a small configuration.
The 860 is water cooled. The motor-generator needs 400 V three phase
power and sucks 130 A down the line to spin up. There is no UPS. The
turning mass of the motor-generator stores enough energy to keep the
machine up until a big diesel generator has started in case of a power
outage. (They have no disel in the cray-cyber basement. But there was
one at the university where the machine was instaled.) I was told the
motor-generator keeps spining for about an hour when powered down and
the machine is switched off at powerdown.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen