[rescue] Cheapest Cray?

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Mon Apr 26 18:58:27 CDT 2004

On Monday 26 April 2004 04:52, Gerhard Lenerz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Monday, April 26, 2004, 10:25:37 AM, you wrote:
> >    Well they're modules that slide into a card cage of sorts.
> > Picture a very thick PCB surrounded by a big, thick metal
> > shield...sorta turning it into a metal box about the size of a
> > pizza box, with a shitload of pins (really...THOUSANDS of pins) on
> > the end.  This slides into a card cage and plugs into the
> > backplane.
>
>   except for the tons of pins that sounds a bit like the modules IBM
>   has built for various systems (I'm thinking "beige AS400" here).

And it sounds exactly like the "modules" for my S/390.  606 pins on a
channel card, in a "metal book" formfactor.  Just a bit smaller than
the Cray stuff is described as.

>   I'm terribly sorry to mention AS400 in a Cray thread. ;-)

Some ES/9000's (the architecure S/390s fall under) included vector
processors, so I'm not as far off. :)

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        ---  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/