[rescue] Cheapest Cray?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Apr 26 17:55:43 CDT 2004

On Apr 26, 2004, at 6:41 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:
>> The http://www.cray-cyber.org/ project has a Y-MP EL98 up 24/7. Other
>> machines like the CDC Cyber 960 are up on Saturday only due to the
>> immense power requirements. (20 kW minimum for the 960.) You can get
>> logins on the machines.
>
> Here's an article (with a picture) about the Goodwill Computerworks
> museum and their Cray.
>
> http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/2000-12-08/
> xtra_feature.html

   They need to check their facts.  The EL actually started at $300K,
not $100K.

   [scroll scroll scroll]
   Wow, they need to check a LOT of their facts.  They state that Zilog
only made chips, not computers...this is woefully incorrect, as I've
*owned* Zilog computers.

   And not only is Zilog "still in business", and they are doing some
"new" things, they're also churning out classic Z80 chips in amazing
quantities.

   Those folks seem to have more than their fair share of stupidity.
They need to spend a little more time learning about those systems
before they start giving bad information out to the public.

         -Dave