[rescue] Cheapest Cray?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Apr 26 16:37:15 CDT 2004

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Micah R L wrote:

> >We need to convince Goodwill to DO SOMETHING with their EL92.  Turn it
> >into a community-supported UnicOS BBS or something.  It's a crime for
> >that machine to be sitting dormant for people to poke a.
> >

> Umm, wow. That would be beyond cool.

Yeah, but the people who own it seem to be enamored with it sitting
there in the middle of the floor with a cute little sign on it, rather
than having it humming away somewhere.

I mean, the concept would be so cool:  Privately fund it, and have it
open to anyone in Austin to play with for a modest donation, on the honor
system.  Hell, reserve cray.ci.austin.tx.us for it.  Support it by
selling "My other workstation is a CRAY" bumper stickers or whatever.
Lock down the compilers to people who specifically request them and who
don't use them to compile exploits.  Who knows?  We might be able to get
Time Warner, OnRamp, BRW, or any other of the local ISPs to donate an
Internet connection and firewall services.

Rather than being a dusty rusty piece in a private computer collection,
it could be an active member of the computing community in Austin.

I would -GLADLY- donate my time and energy to maintain it if we could
get them to come off it.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Being on the Internet is not the same as being
Elgin, TX         (   famous.  That's like calling Cheetos 'dinner'."