[rescue] Re: Cheapest Cray?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Apr 26 16:24:37 CDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 08:10:34AM +1200, ghub005 wrote:
> I'd argue that the cheapest Cray systems these days would be an SGI Origin
> 2000 or a Sun E10k (both of which are getting down towards hobbiest prices).
> They may not have Cray badges or run UNICOS, but the engineering influence
> is undeniable.

I actually admin'ed an O2K back in '98-99.  I asked the SGI field tech,
"what's the difference between a SGI Origin 2000 and a Cray Origin 2000?"

He said "If it has less than 32 CPUs, it says SGI when it boots.  32 or
more, the banner says Cray.  That's about it."

I'd go for an O2K, but I just don't have any desire to use IRIX lately.

bill

--
bill bradford
austin texas