[rescue] SGI, Origin 200, and speed?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Apr 26 16:10:16 CDT 2004

On Apr 26, 2004, at 5:07 PM, Micah R L wrote:
> Sometime in the past month we were talking about SGI speed and how a
> 195MHz something was way slower than a 195MHz something-else ... I
> can't find it in the archives (lordy, we put a lot of mail through
> here). Anyone have a link?

   We were discussing an Indigo2 and an Octane, both with a 195MHz
R10000 processor, and the Octane being quite a bit faster.

> I've been looking at an Origin 200s in the Austin area on eBay that I
> might buy. Does the above mentioned discussion pertain to Origin 200s?
> Should I know anything about them before I purchase one?

   Origin200s are amazing.  That is all.

>  I can get a dual processor 225MHz one for 200$, but there's no
> shipping, and buying a 195MHz one for 99$ + 60$ shipping from Andover
> doesn't seem to be that much better.

   Andover is a bunch of crooks.  They make most of their money on
shipping, apparently banking on the fact that the hapless eBayer won't
notice the horribly inflated shipping fees until the auction ends.

>  I also might try to bargain them down to their dual225MHz unit +
> their single225MHz unit for 300$, local pickup, and then Craylink em
> when I get another 225MHz proc in there. Good idea/bad idea? Price ok?

   Good idea, decent price.  A lot of bang for the buck.  Go for it.

         -Dave