[rescue] CDRAX7-H2

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Apr 26 16:06:03 CDT 2004

On Apr 26, 2004, at 5:02 PM, William G. Gruesbeck wrote:
>> Are these types of things (large CDROM servers) still
>> produced/sold? I would imaging that the advent of relatively
>> cheap drive space would cause CDROM servers to go by the way
>> side, or do they have a use that i am overlooking?
>>
> To be honest I'm not really certain, but I believe that they are. I
> know for a fact that most of the hospitals in the area have at least
> one or two of them in use. But outside of the hospitals where I've
> worked I haven't seen them in use. But I know they have to be out
> there.

   Hardware-enforced immutable (read-only) databases are a big deal in
some environments.  Most hard drives don't have hardware write-protect
capability anymore.  And you can't write-protect an IDE drive by just
tying the /WR line high, because you wouldn't be able to write to the
control registers to perform reads either.

          -Dave