[rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Caleb Shay caleb at webninja.com
Mon Apr 26 11:33:25 CDT 2004

> What about a real Java compiler?  I know that the purists hate that
> idea, but are there any real Java compilers?  Ones that spit out native
> code instead of JVM code?
>
> In such a case, what happens to the libraries?  Are they compiled too,
> or are they still interpreted?

gcj, part of the gcc suite. Doesn't currently support all of the java
classes, but it's pretty damn close.  I think AWT is currently the only
thing that isn't finished, but I could be wrong.

http://gcc.gnu.org/java/

It can:
compile java code to byte-code
compile java code to native
compile byte-code to native
excute byte-code as a jvm
Allow linking of C/C++ libraries with java and compile the whole thing
to native.
Can deal with mixed native/byte-compiled applications

However, it does not yet support all java foundation classes, see GNU
Classpath for more info (the gcj library is derived from GNU Classpath.

http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/classpath.html

Cheers,

Caleb