[rescue] Cheapest Cray?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Apr 26 02:26:50 CDT 2004

On Apr 26, 2004, at 3:19 AM, Bjvrn Ramqvist wrote:
>> If I were still pulling down $110K/yr I'd buy absolutely every one
>> that showed up on the market, pretty much regardless of price (and I
>> did exactly that for a while), but I'm out of that game for now.
>
> Are these beasts anywhere near like the SGI Origins? That, you could
> buy two systems and expand one of'em to a bigger machine using the
> others parts?

   In some cases, yes.  The machines have backplanes, and CPU & memory
modules fit into slots.  You can snag those modules (be they boards
like in the EL or big metal "subchassis" like in the J90) from one
machine to put 'em in the other.  That's what I did with a J90 that I
bought a couple of years ago...used it to expand my existing one and
have some spare power supplies, backplane, and rack components.  I
don't like buying vendor maintenance contracts. :)

          -Dave