[rescue] Cheapest Cray?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun Apr 25 22:45:28 CDT 2004

On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 11:26:50PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   Smallest...EL92 or EL94.  Total unobtainium.  I know of three in
> existence, and I have two of them.

92/94 was what I was thinking of.  "deskside" model.

Is the third the one in residence at the Goodwill Computerworks
museum here in Austin?  I offered them $1K cash for it a few years
ago (which they declined) before I realized that it was a mostly-stripped
unit.

>   Quite practical at home, much more modern (faster, modern disks,
> etc), but a fair bit more expensive, J90 family.

Does a J90 require 3-phase, or just 240V?

>   They seem to come up on eBay a few times a year.  I don't really
> consider them to be "real" Crays, though.  That's not to say that I
> dislike them, or wouldn't love to have one, which I would..

My six-CPU E3K is the closest I'm going to get to that, i think.
Did any of the SS1K/Exx00 systems evolve from the CS64K/E10K, or
was it a completely different architecture and design?

> >Also, we'd love to hear any Cray-related stories.
>   I've got plenty.  Like what? ;)

neat stories. 8-)

Bill

--