[rescue] Re: The Cave

Nadine Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Sun Apr 25 09:19:34 CDT 2004

Phil Stracchino wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 01:26:38PM -0400, Tim H. wrote:
>
>>Nadine Miller <vraptor at promessage.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I prefer the term "muggles", since what we do is a kind
>>>of magic to the uninformed.
>>
>>This is funny, I had the exact same thought about muggles, even to the
>>point of paraphrasing the thought that in any society, a technology
>>sufficiently more advanced is indistinguishable from magic.  Off the top
>>of my had I can't attribute that paraphrase, but I am thinking it was a
>>scifi author.
>
> Clarke's Law.
> "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
>
> However, wizards probably don't have to worry about being offshored.

Given how few there are in JKR's world, true.  But they still
have to put up with suits--the Ministry of Magic idiots are so
wrapped up in their bureacracy that they almost manage to allow
Mr. Evil to be brought back on several occassions.  Hmmm...I
sense the potential for thesis...

Oops, my internal English major slipped out there for a second. :-)

=Nadine=