[rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Apr 21 21:15:04 CDT 2004

Wed, 21 Apr 2004 @ 18:41 -0400, Dave McGuire said:

> On Apr 21, 2004, at 5:01 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> >I run Netscape 7.1 right now, because it leaks memory slower than
> >Mozilla 1.6.
> >
> >But really... why should *any* browser use more than around 32MB?
> >
> >What on Earth are they doing?
>
>   In the case of Mozilla, its entire user interface is built from
> compiled-in, run-time-interpreted JavaScript.  It's like some kid
> decided he wanted to show off how "clever" he was.  Fucking morons.

Do you think that is why it eats so much memory?

I usually test the current browsers by going to a page of links,
especially images or those with tables, and opening a dozen of them.

Then close them all but one, and repeat.

Most of the time you can see gradually increase in the VM and resident
size, when what you should see is a plateau.

In other words, if you open 12 windows, close them, and then open the
same 12 the high water mark should not change.

It does.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [javalin: an unwieldy programming weapon used
to stab a software project through the heart until dead]