[rescue] Getting an OS on an IRIS Indigo?

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sat Apr 24 10:34:15 CDT 2004

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 09:51:13 -0400
Kurt Huhn <kurt at k-huhn.com> wrote:

[netbooting a SGI]
> > Nope.  It's just BOOTP and tftp and rsh/rcp/rexec.
> Sweetness!  I just spent about a day getting a couple Xserves booting
> and installing over the network - I probably should have known SGIs
> would be pretty simple...
See roboinst(1M) also.

An other convinient way to install an SGI with IRIX is to copy all CDs
to a distmedia disk, boot from the installation tools CD (or perhaps
network), mount that disk by hand (admin menue...) and point inst with
the "from" command to the directories of the CDs. This eases and speeds
up installation especially with 6.5.22 where you need at least 6 CDs to
install the base system. Unfortunately you need an already running SGI
to prepare the distmedia disk.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen