ethernet and switches, was Re: [rescue] Mozilla Firefox

ghub005 ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Sat Apr 24 00:09:15 CDT 2004

Eric said:

Switched FC-AL???

--------------<end quote>--------------

Yes - you can buy FC-AL switches from a number of different  vendors e.g.
Brocade, McData, Cisco, Emulex and others. They've been on the market since
the late nineties.

If on the other hand you're wondering why I used an older loop based name
like 'FC-AL' to refer to a switched SAN topology, every link between the
switch and the HBA is a loop. The terms 'fibre channel switch' and 'FC-AL
switch' are the same thing.

Incidentally, if you don't want to shell out for a switched network, you can
pick up used FC-AL hubs for $40 to $50 or less these days. They're basically
worthless.

Regards,

Gavin

P.S. I'm a digest subscriber - please excuse my post if this has already been
addressed.