[rescue] Getting an OS on an IRIS Indigo?

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Fri Apr 23 22:07:00 CDT 2004

On Apr 23, 2004, at 10:42 PM, Micah R L wrote:

> My understanding is that these don't boot from external CDROM drives,
> though I tried it anyway - didn't work. I was using a burned cd in an
> Apple CD 600e, thought - is that the problem, or will it just not boot
> from an external disc?

Not true.  You just need a CDROM reader that understand 512B blocks.
An old Sun CD reader will work, and so will newer Plextors, among
others.

Irix CDs burned from images will work - as long as your images are
good.  If the image doesn't contain the entire original raw device, it
won't contain slice info, and won't have the installation tools.

> I've been told that IRIX 6.5.x will work with this machine - is this
> true?

True.  However, you may find it to be quite slow.  I've put 6.5 on it,
and it runs fine for headless operations, but slow when you try to use
it as a graphical workstation.  5.3 runs *well* on these though.

> I've tried this guide:
> http://obsolete.majix.org/irix/install-network-via-linux.shtml
> recently, and when I try to install stuff from the SGI end I get:
> ---
> Setting $netaddr to 192.168.1.63 (from server 192.168.1.6) #from the
> dhcp server on the server
> Error 7 while loading
> network(0)bootp()192.168.1.6:/data/share/irix5.3/dist/sa(sashARCS)
>

> How can I get this guy running? I think it would be easiest if I had
> another IRIX machine from which to server the installation, but this
> is the only SGI machine that I own.

I'm pretty sure network installs are only supported by receiving boot
info from another SGI.  I could be wrong.  Jonathan?

--
Kurt Huhn
kurt at k-huhn.com