[rescue] Getting an OS on an IRIS Indigo?

Micah R L lassloc at hotpop.com
Fri Apr 23 21:42:20 CDT 2004

I haev an IRIS Indigo, reported by "hinv" as an R4K 75MHz. There's no
OS, although I do have an internal HDD.
(Looks exactly like this: http://www.irisindigo.com/images/indigo.jpg)
I have the AUI (AAUI?) tranciever to hook it up to regular 10mbit
ethernet, and I've been trying to get it to install over the network
from a linux machine.
Typing 'version' at the boot console gets
PROM Monitor SGI Version 4.0.5D Rev A IP20, Aug 19, 1992 (BE)
(linux) server ip address is 192.168.1.6
IRIS Indigo ip address is 192.168.1.63

My understanding is that these don't boot from external CDROM drives,
though I tried it anyway - didn't work. I was using a burned cd in an
Apple CD 600e, thought - is that the problem, or will it just not boot
from an external disc?

I've been told that IRIX 6.5.x will work with this machine - is this true?

I've tried this guide:
http://obsolete.majix.org/irix/install-network-via-linux.shtml recently,
and when I try to install stuff from the SGI end I get:
---
Setting $netaddr to 192.168.1.63 (from server 192.168.1.6) #from the
dhcp server on the server
Error 7 while loading
network(0)bootp()192.168.1.6:/data/share/irix5.3/dist/sa(sashARCS)

How can I get this guy running? I think it would be easiest if I had
another IRIX machine from which to server the installation, but this is
the only SGI machine that I own.