[rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Apr 23 20:26:37 CDT 2004

On Apr 23, 2004, at 7:09 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Oh, I agree.  The great irony of it all is that I am out of work and as
> far as I know that particular moron still works there.
>
> I am better at debugging malloc() errors than I am at kissing ass.

   Then you're clearly not keeping up with what matters in this society.

   Don't worry, I'm in the same boat.

>  However, with increasing pressure to replace mainframes with more
> politicall correct and sexy/interesting/modern/"new" technology,
> I wonder how long we can rely on them.

   Ahh, so they're using *old* mainframes, instead of
sexy/interesting/modern/new ones?  That's a little scary.

> I have to believe that the ranks of people skilled in taking care of
> mainframes and the plethora of minicomputers still used these days
> is dwindling with each passing year.

   Nah.  Mainframes aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

> I do not believe that lesser machines and people are capable of getting
> the job done.
>
> So what happens to core industries like banking when the work is moved
> to Windows server on commodity hardware, run by script kiddies?
>
> Are we slowly heading for big trouble?

   Well, if that *does* happen (actually, whether that happens or not),
as I've mentioned elsewhere lately, my sock drawer is the safest bank
in my world.  What is it about today's society that drives us to
identify the least trustworthy segment of society (suits) and entrust
them with the safekeeping of our money every month?  That's really
quite stupid.

         -Dave