[rescue] Ultra 5/10 with OpenPROM Password

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Fri Apr 23 18:16:52 CDT 2004

On Friday 23 April 2004 18:00, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
> I have an opportunity to get rather cheaply either an Ultra 5 or
> Ultra 10 with a set, unknown PROM password.
>
> Anybody here know an easy way to break one of these?  The only
> options I am aware of involve ordering a new one from Sun, or
> hot-swapping a module from a system with a good PROM.  The second
> option would be difficult, because I don't have any other U5/10's.

Hint 1: DONT hotswap it.  Swapping with power off is OK, but I've nuked
ever single one I've tried doing the pull/login/put back in trick that
works for sparc 5's.

Hint 2: Sparc 5s, 20s, and maybe 10s (and other models) use the same
exact PROM.  Find $0 dead SparcStation 5, pull its prom, and use it in
the U5.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        ---  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/