ethernet and switches, was Re: [rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Fri Apr 23 13:04:39 CDT 2004

> > The Linux DEFPA driver works quite well.  What doesn't work well in
> > Linux is bridging FDDI and Ethernet.  I used the DEFPAs in my Linux
> > box without any problems until I upgraded to GigE.
>
> What kernel version?  I had lots of problems using it with 2.6.x.  Also,
> it wasn't directly bridged, I was using

This was 2.4.x.  I don't think transferring packets between FDDI and
Ethernet works all that well in Linux, whether you are using bridging
or routing.  I didn't try to transfer packets between FDDI and Ethernet
because of that.  I just segregated the types of data I was using.

> > > Yeah, it's not yet running, but it's getting closer.  I've got DASD
> > > (disk) for it now, and all I need is something I can boot from.  I'm
> > > looking at getting an ESCON channel card for some machine.  PCI ones
> > > seem easy to come by, but an MCA one would be better/cheaper/more
> > > fun.
> >
> > Have you tried looking for a surplus 3480?
>
> What pisses me off is I had one two years ago, but didn't have space, so
> I ended up selling the drives on ebay.  I haven't seen them a whole lot
> surplus, except for that one.  Anyways, it seems I can get a PCI card
> for $280 or so via a reseller, and they show up every couple months for
> about $150 or so, which is probably cheaper than scrap value on a 3480
> controller + drive pair.
>
> On the other hand, if someone knew of a 3480 or 3490 I could get for a
> reasonable price, I'd be open to getting one.

I would expect that inexpensive 3480 drives are out there, but the people
that have them may not know what they are (or what they are/aren't worth).

> I still don't have any media, though I might be able to get a tape
> written at work for this.

I can get you a shitload of 3480 media.  We discard 3480 media all the
time.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net