[rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Apr 23 09:35:19 CDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 12:51:20PM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:

> You should have picked on templates that aren't inlined. Now *that* is the
> major path to code bloat.

I actually like templates.  I just wish they would allow a bit more
overloading.  Like, say I write a templated class.  I would then like to
be able to overload certain methods and say "Do it this way instead of
following the template if the data type in floats".  Instead, I end up
writing it a template class, then rape and paste out any optimized
versions I may need.  Grr.

> Do your C program never use pointers to functions and then call those?
> That's pretty much all that's involved in a virtual function call.

Though vtables do add to the complexity a bit.  The time hit should be
bad, unless it messes up your caches at a bad time.

Where I work, pretty much everything is written in C.  I wish we'd do
more in C++, but the hard realtime portions of the system should
definately stay as C code (with a few smidgens of assembly as needed to
use processor instructions not used by C).