[rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Apr 23 09:31:52 CDT 2004

Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:
[...]
> Err, why isn't O notation acurate at the level of C? I wasn't aware that
> it was ever non-applicable.

Caches and virtual memory? As N increases, the dataset will spill over into
a slower form of storage. So the O notation is only really a good predictor
of performance while you comparing like for like.

For the vast majority of users, I don't think that this is a major concern.
Any dataset where you're concerned about algorithmic complexity at all isn't
going to fit in CPU caches anyway, and spilling into virtual memory is going
to kill it completely.

--
[About a discussion of heavily customised cars.]
I thought they were talking about cheap whores - smelly, ugly, brightly