The Cave (was: Re: [rescue] Current collections...)

Peter Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Fri Apr 23 01:30:06 CDT 2004

On Apr 22, 2004, at 11:35 PM, Torquil MacCorkle, III wrote:

>> They are engineering benches from Sun - when I was working there, a
>> few
>> got sold off as surplus, and I snagged a couple.  They are made by
>> Symbiote, circa 1986 or so.
>
> I'll assume they are unobtainium?

...and really, really heavy.  Each U-channel for the back is around 100
lbs or so.  I think the two bolted together (they can do that) weighs
over to 1/2 a ton.

> If that is a 'mess', a bomb must have gone off in my room.

No, that's neat.  Right now I have a pile of SPARC parts lying around,
as I hack on some systems for fun.  Right now I'm building a U10 with
Elite 3D, FW SCSI, and other goodies.

> What is the name for the racks you have... not racks.. just shelf
> things you
> have that look like they could function like a rack and are very
> common?
> This may be a solution for my 'having a bunch of computers but no
> space, and
> no nearby rack' problem..

Those are "Gorilla Rack" shelves.  Got them cheap at Sam's club.

-Pete