[rescue] Re: GNOME FUD (was: Re: Mozilla Firefox)

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Fri Apr 23 00:34:53 CDT 2004

Sorry for messing up threading, though it's probably time for a new
thread anyway (at least a new subject line).

> Subject: Re: [rescue] Mozilla Firefox
> From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at caerllewys.net>
> Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 00:13:39 -0400
> To: rescue at sunhelp.org

[snip]
> I don't think it's that the software industry has gone mad, per se.  I
> think that the Gnome developers have gotten so obsessed with trying to
> fight Microsoft on Microsoft's terms for a desktop environment that
> they've become Windows on Linux.  They haven't figured out that by
> trying to do what Microsoft's environment does, they've let Microsoft
> dictate the rules of the game.

I'm not sure where you're coming from, but I think you're mistaken.
GNOME is developing the desktop the same way that we have been for a
couple of years.  Essentially, people hack on the desktop.  If somebody
sees a cool feature somewhere, they grab that idea, and run with it,
regardless if it came from Microsoft, Apple, Sun, or anybody else.
Releases come out every 6 months, with whatever features have been
finished, stabilized, and tested by then.

But maybe it's my point of view that's a bit off, since I have an inside
look at everything GNOME does.  Regardless of any of that, can you be a
bit more specific, so that I can pass thoughts and feelings back to the
community?  Thanks,
	Greg

P.S.  More to come when my digests arrive, and I have time to research
my facts a bit.