ethernet and switches, was Re: [rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Apr 22 22:35:51 CDT 2004

On Apr 22, 2004, at 11:28 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:
>>> I'm just sorta curious why you dislike ethernet so much.
>>> Personally, I
>>> think it was a good idea at the time.
>>   Yes, it was.  Thirty years ago.
>
> For people that can't afford to replace their entire infrastructure,
> $800 24-port unmanaged copper gigabit switches and $30 PCI copper
> gigabit
> ethernet cards (with a semi-non-sucky Realtek chipset, unlike their
> 10/100 stuff) is a damn nice improvement over 100baseT.

   We're talking about technical merits, not cheapness.  And besides,
not many of us need gigabit speeds on our home networks...and if we're
talking about work networks, I'd think, ideally, it's the network
designer's job to beg enough budget to do it correctly.  I'm aware that
there are very cost-sensitive (read: CHEAP SUIT BASTARDS)
installations...that's why Ethernet exists.

        -Dave