ethernet and switches, was Re: [rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Thu Apr 22 21:57:16 CDT 2004

On Thursday 22 April 2004 21:25, Dave McGuire wrote:
> > I don't think ethernet is near as bad as its opponents say it is.
>
>    BZZZT.  We can go into details if you like.  I'm not sure you want
> to go down that road tonight, though, because I'm in a really special
> mood.

I'll try to take a stab at it for you.

1) Latency.  Like any packet-switched topology, it sucks.
2) Variable sized packets.  From a hardware standpoint, it's a whole lot
	better/more efficient to use (reasonably sized) fixed-sized
	packets/cells/etc.  If you've built hardware you'll realize
	that variable sized things Suck Ass.
3) 2.5Mbit...10Mbit...100BaseT4...100BaseTX...1000BaseTX...10GbE PHY...
    .... BLASTOFF!!

   Wow, too many incarnations, reimplementations, small modifications.
   It's been reinvented multiple times with each increase in "speed".
   I think they've reached their limit and ought to start over fresh.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        ---  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/
The Computer Refuge               ---  http://computer-refuge.org