[rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Apr 22 20:02:15 CDT 2004

Thu, 22 Apr 2004 @ 17:51 -0400, Dave McGuire said:

> >So tell me... what was the benefit in getting rid of the old mini,
> >which could have been replaced with a newer system for a fraction of
> >what this development project has cost in new hardware alone.
>
>   Funneling huge amounts of money to contractors, and the attendant
> kickbacks to the school's administrative personnel?

No contractors, all done by local employees.  A friend of mine was
on the project.

The project head actually didn't like the way things were going, but the
head of the department was driving it.

So last year he left the university and went to work for the city of
Newport News, and took all of the people he liked with him.

I've heard it is hell to be at the university working on that project
now.

> >Every time I see a C project replaced with C++, it doesn't get
> >smaller and less complicated -- the primary promise of C++ -- it gets
> >larger and more complicated almost without fail.
>
>   Yup.  And it doesn't have to be that way!  I know a guy who writes
> great C++ code.  Fast, small...everything most C++ programs aren't.
> Why?  Because he KNOWS HOW COMPUTERS WORK.  The trouble is, he is a
> dying breed.

I took a class on C++ in college, and that was the whole promise of the
language.

My instructor wasn't very good, but still, the basics of the class were
taking complicated code and making it smaller and simpler.  The idea
was originally supposed to have been used at AT&T to replace a bunch of
complicated C code for telephone switching with something smaller.

Supposedly that was the whole reason that Bjarne created C++.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["There are nowadays professors of
philosophy, but not philosophers." ]