[rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Apr 22 16:43:32 CDT 2004

Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
[...]
> There is a huge difference between the following possible scenarios:
> - it loaded a shared library, but is the only process using it, which
>   means in reality nothing is being shared
> - it shares 30MB with X, 4MB with some other program
> - it shares 34MB with 1000 other processes
> - it shared 8, 4, and 4MB chunks with 3 other processes, and 8MB
>   is shared but only it uses it
> ...and so on.  You could sit here and come up with virtually unlimited
> possibilities.

For a simple indication, surely all that is required is to take each shared
memory segment and divide it by the number of processes sharing it, and add
up the total.

>From what I remember of Linux kernel internals, it'd even be pretty easy to
calculate. In fact, I feel a bit of kernel hacking coming on...

--
>> That will happen 2 weeks after pigs fly.
> I hear the government has funded a jet-pig initiative...
Well, thats one way for the politicians to justify more pork in the budget.
					- Various in alt.folklore.computers