[rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Apr 22 15:00:09 CDT 2004

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> Kevin Loch <kloch at gurunet.net> wrote:
>
> > There is no application that shouldn't be written in plain old C.
> C is a macro assembler and should be used only for tasks where assembler
> is appropriate.

vi Rules!
Emacs sucks!

Yet another holy war.  I use C for just about everything, but I use Java
and ksh and Perl and Scheme for things, too.  C is a good bit above a
macro assembler (you don't have to manage register allocation or the
stack, for example), but I sure wouldn't use it for -everything-,
because:

  1) GUI toolkit portability
  2) Some things really are best-served by easily-edited scripts
  3) Sometimes you need something NOW and can hammer it out in a day
     in Java or (God help you) dtksh, but it'd take a week in C.
  4) Sometimes you have to choose between using $language1 which comes
     with all the tools you need to get a job done, or $language2 where
     90% of your development time is reinventing stuff.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Being on the Internet is not the same as being
Elgin, TX         (   famous.  That's like calling Cheetos 'dinner'."