Sqeak VM (was [rescue] Mozilla Firefox)

William Barnett-Lewis wlewis at mailbag.com
Thu Apr 22 14:10:49 CDT 2004

> On Apr 22, 2004, at 1:36 PM, Joshua Boyd wrote:
>>   I wish I knew why it
>> crawled so slowly on my Octane (Squeak runs nicely on a Pentium 166,
>> but
>> it crawls on my R10k @ 250mhz).
>
>    They're probably tuning it for one architecture at the expense of
> another...x86 assembler helpers, cache friendliness, who knows.

There is essentially no per machine optimization. The VM is written in
Smalltalk however it does need a certain amount of C to bootstrap it.
This C is generated by Smalltalk in a running VM and is the same for all
platforms. The last big change I remember was to make it bug compatible
with gcc...

More details here:
ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/docs/OOPSLA.Squeak.html

The real difference is probably in whatever C compiler that a given VM
maintainer is using. If it's VC++ on windog vs. gcc on Irix then that
will explain the difference to my satisfaction.

William
--
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.