[rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Apr 22 13:37:30 CDT 2004

On Apr 22, 2004, at 2:02 PM, Joshua Boyd wrote:
>>   Sometimes other concerns may dictate the need for a
>> rapid-development
>> language like Java, but those concerns are usually nontechnical in
>> nature.  In an ideal situation, however, I agree with your statement.
>> People who can't manage their own memory or handle pointers simply
>> shouldn't be trying to program computers.
>
> There is a difference between can't and don't want to.  I certainly can
> manage my own memory, but I don't particularly care to do it more than
> nescesary.  Some of us also somewhat like dynamic typing (and obviously
> other venehmently detest it).

   And that's fine, because YOU know how computers work and YOU know how
to write efficient code in very high-level languages...because you know
the underlying concepts.

   The trouble is, you are in the minority.  The people writing the
stuff we're complaining about have typically used the ease of OO
programming as a short-cut to "be a programmer", rather than as an
effective tool.

        -Dave