[rescue] mounting / read only ?

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Thu Apr 22 10:43:23 CDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 04:21:56PM +0100, . wrote:
> ok after all of that fun, is there a way to do a fresh install
> and then mount / read only and still have the os still work ?

Depends on what you put on / =)

/tmp, /var, /home (or /export/home), anything that's legitimate
to write to, should be on their own slice.

Mount them with nodev and nosuid, prevent some simple bad things from
happening.  I know that with the BSDs, you can set securelevels such
that filesystems can be mounted in such a way that makes files on it
append-only (log files) or immutable ( everything in /bin; /sbin;
/usr/[s]bin, etc).  I don't think Solaris has this, at least it didn't
in 2.6, which is the only one I run a lot (my sparcbook can't handle
anything newer w/o paying Tadpole lots of $$).

> i know i read about other people doing it. some more details
> would be interesting. or is this too strange?

It can be done, just look at the "Live CD" distributions of various Free
OS's out there, RO OS, use the local HD (or USB pen drive) for home
directories and such.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org