[rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezics at q7.com
Wed Apr 21 22:14:03 CDT 2004

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> True.  A long time ago a guy wrote a browser in TCL/TK.  It ran in
> just a few MB of RAM.

A long time ago I ran Mosaic and early Netscape releases on a 24MB SS1+
with two 200MB disks.  A long time ago I ran OmniWeb on a 32MB NeXTstation
Color with a 400MB disk.  A long time ago that was enough space to hold a
full-blown operating system, home directory, swap partition...

A couple of months ago I downloaded and unpacked all the sources needed to
attempt a local Mozilla build from source - and gave up after an hour or
so of chasing down dependencies.  The tarball and build tree would have
taken up the entire disk on my NeXTstation.  And four years ago I was
laughing my ass off at a coworker who produced a GNOME version of "hello,
world" that produced a 23MB executable (yes, *dynamically linked*).

The software industry has gone mad.  This is way beyond any "conspiracy to
sell bigger disk drives".  Poor old Mel must be spinning in his grave.

-- Chris