[rescue] New G3

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Wed Apr 21 00:33:50 CDT 2004

On Apr 21, 2004, at 1:02 AM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> Mac OS 9 is not that ram hungry. You can run it in a lot less ram than
> 128meg, depending upon the application. 128meg is a good starting
> point.
>
> MacOs X (pronounced TEN) is RAM hungry. It's realy a modified version
> of
> BSD (chosen because of it's "artisitic license" over Liunx's GPL. There
> are 3 user interfaces available. The first is "classic mode", which is
> MacOS9. It's not really running in a "virtual machine" as it uses the
> services of OSX directly. It will run just about anything that runs on
> the G3 in native OS9.
>
> The second is called "Aqua". It's sort of the Mac meets the NeXt.
>
> The third is called "Darwin". It's more like Linux meets BSD. It
> includes
> X windows and a lot of Linux stuff ported to it.

Steve Jobs wouldn't like that description, and neither do I :-).

Darwin is technically an OS all its own that is based on the xnu kernel
and command line environment from OS X + netinfo. [OS X without
graphics, Classic, Cocoa, or Carbon]

OS X is basically a BSD-ish (A hybrid of several BSDen) OS on top of a
Mach 3.0 microkernel.

It has 3 environments... they are Classic, Carbon, and Cocoa... not
Darwin, Aqua, and Classic.

It also allows a BSD/traditional UNIX environment and includes X11.app
with 10.3 and later.

Aqua is the name of the UI theme and look and feel.

Classic is also known as BlueBox and is a Mac OS 9 emulation
environment complete with its own startup screen.

Carbon is a set of system libraries and the MacOS toolbox that has been
cleaned up and hooked into the modern features of the OS so that
developers didn't have to trash their existing codebases to port to OS
X from Classic.

Cocoa is the Yellowbox or native OPENSTEP API.  Since Mac OS X is
directly descended from OPENSTEP/NEXTSTEP, there are many similarities
with OS 4.2, and many differences.

Aqua for instance is based on display PDF vs. the Workspace Manager in
OPENSTEP being display postscript.

Andrew