[rescue] PowerMac recommendations?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Apr 20 14:02:43 CDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 02:47:26PM -0400, Tim H. wrote:

> That is an option, it would however require me to come up with another way to
> play the occasional DVD that shows up, since that would be done with the
> computer.  I could get a normal DVD player, but all the consumer DVD
> players I have seen lately have absolutely horrible response times and
> annoying on screen displays, and pretty much can't be used without the
> remote control, It seems pretty strange to me that a single purpose
> device can't have a better user interface than a general purpose one.

Yeah, those delays are annoying.  The "easy" solution would be to queue
up the disk to exactly where you want to begin playback, and pause it
there.  Of course, my latest DVD player (a sub $100 philips model that
supports progressive scan) would defeat this solution by virtue of
deciding to go to sleap after a very short period of time while paused,
then take over 10 seconds to wake back up.  Grr.  Stupid, stupid,
stupid!

Well, it sounds like your church is better off here than mine is.