[rescue] PowerMac recommendations?

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Tue Apr 20 13:03:03 CDT 2004

Kurt asked:

> Have you noticed the *incredible* number of Florida plates around RI?

   Sure.
   Lots of older people from Rhodey are snowbirds: our next door
neighbors own land they've only visited once, their kids live there, and
they visit every winter. An older couple on the corner lives there
something like six months of the year: I don't watch for the first robin
of spring anymore, but the return of the O'Briens' gold minivan. Even my
in-laws get lured down there by friends who rent an entire house for
much of the winter and then entertain a rotating schedule of
week-at-a-time houseguests who just want to get out of the gray New
England winter, "hardy Yankee" reputation be damned.

> Lots of RI'ers own property in FL, and the taxes are cheaper in FL, so
> they keep their vehicles registered there and use it as their primary
> residency.  It's mostly a tax-avoidance manuver.

  It may also be a snow-avoidance maneuver, from what they've told me.
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator