[rescue] PowerMac recommendations?

ed at the7thbeer.com ed at the7thbeer.com
Tue Apr 20 12:49:16 CDT 2004

> > So Mr. Bill, I HAVE to ask - when are you going to officially rename the
> > list "pcs_and_linux_rule_all at sunhelp.org?
>
> Dunno.  It is an odd moment when I find myself agreeing with both Dave and
> Ed at the same time.  That scares me.

Didn't you hear?  The IAU did a quantitative evaluation yesterday.  0=1
now. :)

> > I really thought this was a 'rescue' list for cool kit, not a place to
> > continually expound upon the (nonexistent) virtues of the x86
> > architecture.
>
> Hmmm... Are PC's ever considered "rescue" material?  I mean, I'd get a
> chubby to find a working Zenith Z-100 or Z-248, but that's for purely
> personal reasons.  I know that I never shed a tear when I line up my 12
> gauge and blow the shit out of an x86 box.
>
> Maybe it's just the generic nature of the stuff, but I just don't see it
> as "classic".  Or is it just me?

Unless it was some rarity, like a weird MP system, or an original,
complete, mint IBM 286 box, I can't see coming as commodity as a PC being
'rescue' gear.  I work in the middle of Silicon Valley and I would wager
that if I went over to one of the major recyclers I'd find about 90% PC
gear and 5% Macs and 5% Unix-ish stuff(SGI, Sun, HP).  That just tells me
that PC's are more or less -throw-away- items.

Case in point - I've got an HP Vectra PII-400 at home that works, but
which I don't use.  I also have a couple SS4's, and SS5 and an SS20 also
gathering dust.  The Vectra is going to the dumpster first chance I have.
I would not think about doing that to the Sun kit.  I'll give it away to a
good home before I toss it.

 -ed
ed at the7thbeer.com