[rescue] PowerMac recommendations?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Apr 20 11:56:42 CDT 2004

On Apr 20, 2004, at 12:40 PM, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> ... Which is why well over 50% of utilized Purdue (ITAP) supplied CPU
> cycles (even after weighting based on, say, LINPACK) come from Linux
> clusters, running on Compaq Deskpros and Gateway pieces-of-crap.  Right
> now, our SP is, as a coworker has described it, "a low-end computing
> resource".

   Stupidity is common these days, man.  It's not your fault that he
doesn't know any better.

> He said he wanted to do it on a budget.  While it might not be "cool"
> do it on a PC, I can almost guarantee it'll help save money, over
> something like a Mac.

   Oh, definitely.  A $5-per-trick crack whore is also cheaper than a
$1500-per-night rental.  I guess I hadn't gotten the idea that "cheap"
was the ONLY concern...of course it can be done with PCs, but who needs
the headaches?  I'm willing to pay a bit more to avoid getting
headaches.  It's not like real computers are THAT expensive.  Let's not
be silly, here.

   And since when did this list become a PC advocacy forum?  I thought
people here knew better.  Apparently that is changing.

          -Dave