(another) Re: [rescue] Telephone rescue!

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Tue Apr 20 00:08:37 CDT 2004

Dave McGuire declared on Sunday 18 April 2004 09:35 pm:
> On Apr 18, 2004, at 8:01 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:
> >> Actually, it may be pre-WWII, it has a metal base.  I thought you
> >> were talking
> >> about the rest of the phone.  the S-9-45 stamped inside may or may
> >> not be a
> >> date.
> >
> > On closer look, its got the thermoplastic base plate, but the body
> > of the
> > phone is bakelite and the F1 handset is as well.  Looks just like
> > this:
> >
> > http://www.atcaonline.com/phone/we302.html
>
>    Oh *WOW*...that is really cool!  You need to take some pics of
> yours when you get it all cleaned up.

On the topic of telephone rescues... I managed to just make one of my own
today, what a coincidence!

My friend passed up what looked like a normal tape recorder, with a
wooden case.  I decided to take a closer look.... it turns out to be a
Crown Telephone Valet, model CTA-4400U.   There seems to be next to
nothing about these findable via google.  The one thing I did find was
this (the picture matches what mine looks like):

http://other-antiques.antique-deal.com/VINTAGE-CROWN-TELEPHONE-VALET-2964786.html

Does anyone know how old this thing is?  Or, exactly how rare?  I know
this isn't the best place to ask, but I'd bet someone on here would
know.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        --- http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/